Skip to main content

Cause for concern

Here you'll find information on where to get help for yourself or for other people

Always call 999 if there is an immediate serious risk of harm.

I need help for myself in a crisis

Always call 999 if there is an immediate serious risk of harm

If you have hurt yourself and need medical treatment and/or you cannot keep yourself safe, go to your GP surgery. If your GP surgery is not open, you can contact the NHS out of hours medical service on 111.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but are not in a life-threatening situation. If you feel at risk of serious harm to yourself or from others, go straight to your nearest Accident and Emergency.

Nearest A&E in Southampton: Southampton General Hospital, 023 8077 7222, Tremona Road, Southampton, SO16 6YD

If you're outside of Southampton: Find the nearest hospital

Help at Solent University

Advisers in the Student Hub are available to help work out what will be helpful for you. You can visit them in RM050 between 10am-12.30pm and 2-4.30pm Monday to Friday, or call them on ext. 5200 (023 8201 5200).

If you're in the halls of residence, there are staff on site available to support you, or you can email, or call 07778 345113

Other places to find help and support

Local Crisis Support: Lighthouse 
Text ‘lighthouse’ and your postcode (for example LIGHTHOUSE SO14 0YG) to 07451 276010 between 4.30pm and 11.30pm. We will then contact you via telephone or text.

Other local crisis services:

If you are feeling very low, distressed and/or are experiencing suicidal thoughts and you need to talk to someone out of hours, you can call any of the following services:

The Samaritans in Southampton provide 24-hour support by phone on 116 123 or email In Southampton, the Samaritans also offer a walk-in service between 10am and 10pm. For more information click here. Offers basic general advice about a range of problems and has lists of organisations and helplines that can help. has good advice about managing depression and guided self-help. The 'desperate right now' button is on the top right-hand corner of the page.

Papyrus (prevention of young suicide - for people up to age 35) has a range of support and a helpline open Monday-Friday: 10am-10pm, weekends: 2pm-10pm and bank holidays: 2pm-5pm. Freephone 0800 068 4141 (9am-midnight) has good student tailored advice and guidance.

SOS Silence of Suicide: Freephone 0300 102 0505 For more information click here.

Shout is a 24/7 text service for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help. TEXT Shout to 85258

I'm worried about someone else

There is support available to people who are struggling with their mental health, whatever the time of day. There are helplines, a drop in at the Samaritans 10am - 10pm, online chats, and good advice on several websites noted below to help in difficult times.

It can be hard to broach the subject of getting help with someone who seems to be struggling. The Student Minds link below has some good ideas for how to do this.

Always call 999 if there is an immediate serious risk of harm.

During office hours, you can go to the Student Hub (RM050). The advisers won’t be able to discuss someone else’s affairs in any depth but they can support you to work out how you might be able to help or get help.

If you are in halls of residence and worried, there is always a member of staff on duty for you to speak to.

Helpful advice and guidance can be found on the following links: has sound advice. gives helpful advice if you are concerned that someone is suicidal.

Papyrus has information and advice if you're worried about someone else

Help and resources from Solent University

You can contact your GP or call 111 if you feel you need help quickly

If you would like to speak with a counsellor or a mental health adviser:

  • If you have used our service within the last two months, please email the Therapy and Mental Health Team: and ask for an appointment.
  • If you have not used our service in the last two months, please fill in the online self-referral form.

If you are not sure what support you need, you can speak to a Student Hub adviser who can assist you:

  • Contact the Student Hub:, telephone: 023 8201 5200 or call in to speak to an adviser in RM050

Self help and online resources: