Skip to main content

Access Solent - disability support

Solent University's disability support service for students is provided by Access Solent.

Supporting you at university

What is Access Solent?

Access Solent is Solent University's disability support service for students.

Our aim is to remove barriers and support students to reach their full academic potential.

How can we help?

We provide information, advice and guidance for disabled students during their time at Solent, as well as access to on-campus support and facilities.

University is different from school and college and may present new challenges. Therefore we recommend you check with us what support is available, even if you feel your disability will not affect your studies.

Check out the rest of this site to find out about all the support that is available, before you make a decision.

Who can ask for support?

Anyone with the following declarations is eligible:

  • specific learning difficulties (eg, dyslexia, ADHD),
  • chronic or long-term medical conditions (eg, epilepsy, diabetes),
  • physical or sensory impairments (eg, cerebral palsy, hearing impairment),
  • mental health conditions (eg, depression, bipolar),
  • autistic spectrum declarations,
  • temporary injuries (eg, broken wrist).

What support is available?

We offer:

  • a range of activities, workshops, and facilities,
  • confidential information and advice to prospective and current disabled students,
  • advice on applying for Disabled Students' Allowance or other funding for academic disability support,
  • screenings for specific learning difficulties (eg, dyslexia),
  • advice about diagnostic assessment,
  • classroom support and exam arrangements,
  • short-term loads of equipment including digital voice recorders and laptops with assistive technology,
  • liaison with teaching staff (with permission),
  • events supporting the transition into higher education,
  • information and advice for staff who are supporting students.

We also have information and guidance available for students who have assistance dogs about bringing them on to campus and into the student residences.

Further information

Please look at our Solent Online Learning page to find out more about our service, help applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance and support on campus.

UK students may be able to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to cover additional disability-related study costs.

Further support available in the University

  • Information librarians
  • Assistive software on the student network -TextHelp Read and Write is a screenreading software available across the network
  • Adapted accommodation in University residences 
  • Permits for car parking for Blue Badge holders
  • Communication support - eg, lip-speaker or sign language, can be organised as relevant

Data protection

The University recognises the sensitive nature of disclosure and has procedures relating to the security of all personal information in accordance with the University data protection policy and relevant legislation.

Applicants and students already enrolled, are strongly encouraged to make relevant disclosures at the earliest opportunity in order that provision is put in place as soon as possible. Early disclosure enables us to consider any potential impact on your studies and to plan and resource appropriate support.

In order to make provision for your needs, it will be necessary for Access Solent to disclose relevant information to some staff within the university and, maybe to other third parties. You will be asked to sign a data release form to give permission to share this information.

You have the right to request that personal information relating to disability remains confidential. However, this could affect the extent to which adjustments can be made.

To enquire about Access Solent services, register, and book appointments:

Visit: the Student Hub (RM050)
Tel: 023 8201 3201

    Related content