In-sessional English language support
Help with aspects of academic English language and skills available to all students.
Here at Solent University, we offer a number of ways to support all students with the challenges of using English for Academic Purposes (EAP), especially if you are an international student.
All courses are run by specialist EAP teachers, all with extensive experience in teaching English to international students around the world and in UK universities.
Academic English language support
Our English language support programme will return for 2022/23.
Each week, one two-hour session will taught on campus (face to face) and one two-hour session will take place online. Please note, each week, the two sessions will cover the same content, but you are welcome to attend both if you wish.
Dates and times for classes
There will be weekly sessions from October 2022 until May 2023.
Join the session on Teams
On campus session: TS309
Who can attend
Our workshops are open to all students and they are free of charge.
What you will study in the sessions
The content of each class will depend on student needs, however here is a list of common topics that may be covered:
- Planning and organising essays.
- Writing introductions and conclusions.
- Various kinds of linking used in academic writing.
- Academic style.
- Common grammar structures in academic writing, such as the passive voice and relative clauses.
- Proof-reading for common errors.
- Note-taking while listening to lectures.
- Reading techniques to manage your research.
- Using sources and referencing.
- Participating in seminar discussions.
- Organising an academic presentation.
- Understanding the sections of a dissertation.
Do I need to do any assessments?
There is no formal assessment for any of these workshops.
If you have any questions, suggestions or comments about the academic English language support programme, please contact Matthew Brittain: firstname.lastname@example.org.